88 FM Withcott

88 FM  Helidon

88 FM  Grantham

We are currently "test broadcasting"*

 *any complaints or interference
contact Power FM

Helidon wed bite.mp3

 

Helidon is 18 km east of Toowoomba and 95 km from central Brisbane. It is renowned for spa water, sandstone which has been quarried for several of Queensland's finest buildings and, as recently as the 1990s, for a controversial rift in the local Catholic church.

The town was named after the Hellidon pastoral run, taken up in about 1841 by a Sydney investor. The name was, possibly, inspired by Hellidon in Warwickshire or Hallidon Hill, Scotland. In 1866 the Ipswich to Toowoomba railway line was opened through Helidon, and the pastoral run was opened up for farm selections in the 1870s. Many of the selections involved clearing of the Helidon scrub, from the town westwards to the Range. A school was opened in 1874 along with a convent school.

In the early 1880s the Helidon Spa company was established to bottle the waters rising naturally from the ground about five km south of the town. Later the water was transported in bulk for bottling at South Brisbane. The spa water gained medals at the Colonial and Indian Exhibition in London (1886) and the Melbourne International Exhibition (1888). Further medals were won at the San Francisco exhibition in 1915, and the water's quality was compared with that of the famous Baden Baden spa. In 1926 a spa pool was built.

Several sandstone quarries were established at Helidon, possibly from the time of the opening of the railway. By the 1890s there was a steady increase in population; settlers on scrub farms grew potatoes, maize and lucerne, and most holdings ran dairy cattle and raised pigs. The population exceeded 600 by 1900, and Helidon had three hotels, Methodist, Presbyterian and Catholic churches, a Salvation Army hall, State and Catholic primary schools, several stores and tradespeople. A cyclone destroyed the Catholic church and convent in 1912 and a larger replacement building was erected.

Hydrotherapy baths were opened in the 1930s. The pool and the spa drinking water were active concerns until the 1980s when traces of radium in the water caused a public scare, and pool-water purity required chlorination, which detracted from its reputation. The quarries also declined, but Cornerford Sandstone re-opened a former State Government quarry in 1985. The industry's monuments are readily visible at the Brisbane general post office, Brisbane City Hall, Anzac Square, the Treasury Building and the University of Queensland, among others.

In 1963 the convent school closed and the town's population edged downwards to under 400. Recovering to over 500 in the 1980s, a community centre (1990) and a new Catholic church (1991) were opened. About four years later a member of the church, claiming to see visions, created the Magnificat Meal Movement, causing a rift with the traditional congregation. The controversy gained national news coverage.

Helidon has a local shopping centre, a primary school, the spa resort, a hotel, and local firms exploiting the sandstone deposits and spa drinking water. In 2006 the Helidon Spa Resort Village, based around a spa park, was marketed for over-50s residents.

 

At RockStock, Enjoy the Music, Dance and Fashions from the 50s, 60s that shaped an entire generation and still draws crowds of all ages to this day. From Rock n Roll to the Go-Go, bryl cream to beehives and big skirts to minis, there's a smorgasbord of colour, style and memories to relive or experience for the first time.

Stroll through the sensational classic car display and treat Dad/Grandad to the best Fathers Day he's ever had.

Retro stalls, kiddie korner, gourmet food, coffee and more- there's something for everyone!

At RockStock, Enjoy the Music, Dance and Fashions from the 50s, 60s that shaped an entire generation and still draws crowds of all ages to this day. From Rock n Roll to the Go-Go, bryl cream to beehives and big skirts to minis, there's a smorgasbord of colour, style and memories to relive or experience for the first time.

Stroll through the sensational classic car display and treat Dad/Grandad to the best Fathers Day he's ever had.

Retro stalls, kiddie korner, gourmet food, coffee and more- there's something for everyone!

 

Helidon is a town in the Lockyer Valley region of south east Queensland, Australia. Helidon is located on the Warrego Highway, 106 kilometres  west of the state capital, Brisbane and 21 kilometres (13 mi) east of Toowoomba. The town had a population of 567 at the 2006 census.

Helidon is well known in Queensland for its high quality sandstone used extensively in private and public buildings in the state and elsewhere[2] including Brisbane City Hall. Helidon is also the location of a natural mineral spring.

 

Withcott is a town in the Lockyer Valley region of Queensland, Australia. The town is located on the Warrego Highway, 116 kilometres (72 mi) west of the state capital, Brisbane and 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) east of the regional centre of Toowoomba. At the 2006 census, Withcott had a population of 1,000.

 

 

Withcott, a rural town of 1000 people, is eight km east of Toowoomba. The locality is identified by the Table Top Hill on the south side of the Warrego Highway, by which the area was known in the early days of settlement. The origin of the name 'Withcott' is apparently unrecorded.

Closer-settlement farm selections on the Toowoomba Commonage and other areas brought a quick influx of population, and the Withcott post office was opened in or about 1905. A primary school was opened in 1912. Withcott had dairying and mixed farming, and the village's main building was the hotel. Rural depopulation from the decline of dairying led to closure of the school in 1976, but repopulation was only a few years away.

The Queensland CWA erected a hall at Withcott in 1969, and five years later the first of several rural /residential subdivisions began. A progress association (1976) began lobbying for a new school, and when it was opened in 1984 there was an enrolment of 83.

Positioned on the highway a short way from Toowoomba, Withcott had an antiques centre (1983) and the Colonial Shopping Centre (supermarket and several shops) by 1987. A local newspaper, the Lockyer Journal, began publication in Withcott in 1986. Churches held worship services in the CWA hall, and the Catholic community and the Church of Christ opened their own buildings in 1991. About two thirds of Withcott's residents lived on properties of one hectare or more.

Withcott has a range of local shops and tradespeople, a pre-school and primary school, a hotel, a fruit and vegetable market and several road houses and petrol stations.